Old 07-03-2008, 07:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Newbie advice needed

In article ,
"Robert Lewis" wrote:

Charlie,

I started a couple of Texas Chilpequins (pronounced chile peteen in Texas)
the other day. I've got them in little cups in a pan over a heating pad.
Stuck a thermometer in the soil this morning & it read 90. I understand
that these are a bit slow to germinate, so hope that temp is good. I think
it'll do OK.

Robert

Charlie wrote in message
On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 21:03:06 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Snip

I use a sterile potting soil for starting seeds. I find that watering
the mix when planting compacts it enough, no need to pack it before
putting seeds in. Do of course press the seed into the mix for good
seed/soil contact, but again, no need to compress significantly. If
you don't have a source of heat, you can use hot - but not boiling -
water to wet the mix before seeding. You should put a thermometer in
your cupboard - if the temp is 70F or under, your're fine. Just
remember to check your seeds every day!

snip

Good post, but I will add one thing......peppers require a higher
temperature for germination. I have found that 80-85F results in
faster and higher germination. Lower temps will reduce and prolong
germination with peppers.

I usually set my germination flat of peppers in the closet on top of
the water heater, where it remains close to these temps and move them
to the garage and lights when they have popped thru.

Care
Charlie

Back it off man. 85 F is as high as you want to go.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi
Bush & Cheney to the Hague