Old 07-03-2008, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Lawn, sharp sand, garden forks et al

pied piper wrote:
"A.Lee" wrote in message
pied piper wrote:

"Lord0" wrote in message ...
Sharp sand - how much should I spread at a time i.e. how deep should
it sit on the lawn?

and thanks for your time
sharp sand is no god for ur lawn it will not blend with your soil profile
creating a root break use proper lawn sand

I dont agree.
Even my local garden centre has stopped selling anythng other than sharp
sand. They used to sell it as 'Horticultural Sharp Sand', now it is just
plain 'Sharp Sand', the same as from a builders merchants.
Alan.

whether u agree or not is besides the point its been scientificaly proven
that adding sharp sand to clay root zone causes a root break.If u was to
look at sharp sand under a microscope u would see that the particles are non
porous so it will also not aid in drainage . It will also hinder grass
growth..

Surely being non-porous is what defines free-draining.