Old 08-03-2008, 02:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
phorbin phorbin is offline

Default Fence Basics

In article ,
says...
"SteveB" meagain@rockvilleUSA wrote in
news
I live in rural Utah. Extreme SW. We have all manner of critters
around here, mainly, but not limited to rabbits, some deer, skunks,
gophers, chipmunks, marmots, and a few others.

We are putting in the garden and I'm wondering about border wire. I
have heard of "hog" wire, "chicken" wire, "horse" wire, and all

sorts
of wire. I "think" I want some that starts off with smaller squares
toward the bottom, then larger as it goes up so as to keep out the
small critters at the bottom, and the bigger ones higher up.

Is that what I need? What's the name. Garden wire?

Rabbit Fencing. But, ground hogs will climb over. :-(

Ah yes, groundhogs.

I stuff their holes with saplings, harass, hunt and trap them as
necessary. Stuffing their holes and harassment is usually enough in this
urban location to send them to a more tender hearted city person's
garden.

You could try a taller fence the top part of which is unsupported and
floppy. When the varmint tries to climb up the floppy part, it bends
outward and drops them off... or so the theory goes.

I forget whether I read of this in Mother Earth News or some other
magazine but it may work and there may be more details out there
somewhere.