Old 07-03-2008, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Nettle patch

In article ,
oaks writes:

| I would like to create a nettle patch down in my wood. It would be for
| the benefit of wildlife. I already have several small scattered
| patches, too small to be much benefit, I think and also in quite shady
| locations. I was thinking of something grander.
| I have found a source of native British seed were I can get about
| 70,000 seeds for less than a tenner. Does anyone have any tips or
| experience of doing this?

Not deliberately :-) And nettles are not woodland plants - they
prefer disturbed soil in open positions (i.e. with full light).

| Ground preparation, I have read that nettles need nitrogen enriched
| soil but I am loathe to bring chemicals into the wood, in fact I
| wouldn't do that. Any suggestions?

Yes. It's not nitrogen, but phosphorus. Bones, dung etc. Dig
up some skeletons and grind them up :-) The well-known company of
Burke and Hare springs to mind ....

More seriously, I don't know, but it's still phosphorus.

| Also they would have to compete with existing bracken and brambles,
| pretty tough competition.

In suitable conditions, nettles ARE pretty tough competition!
They won't compete successfully in the shade under trees, but will
out in the open.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.