Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Leona Henderson

Default Grackle Removal

"Ms. Tee" wrote:

For decades our neighborhood has had lots of mourning doves -- gives us a
"stereo" effect when they really get to cooing! Now it seems these nasty
assed grackles are moving in and causing the doves to move out...any
suggestions on removing these nasty birds?

I thought about shooting them with a gun but it's illegal in the city
limits....
I was told that bb shot just bounces right off the little *******s -
Any ideas that are legitimate and make sense? (ie sending them all to Iraq
is a nice thought but impractical)

Thanks, Cheers, Tee

This year so far they haven't gotten to our area, but sure they will in time.They are really running
late as they were here in spades this time last year. Last year I was putting out bread and the
black birds and grackles absolutely took over. I finally noticed that they come about the same time
every day, so I waited until they had made their pass over my area before putting out bread and seed
for the other birds. This way, they ate some of the insects and yard incidentals but didn 't glut
out on the bread and wild bird seed and so would stay in the yard only a short time. I do enjoy
watching them, but they would pretty much take over if fed at same time as other birds. SOOoooo....
after they left, would put up the feeders and bread for the other birds.
--
nTX USDA Z 7B
Leona