Old 08-03-2008, 04:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
bungadora bungadora is offline

Default Twisted branches on indoor tomatoes

On Mar 6, 8:57*pm, Deuteros wrote:
I'm growing tomato plants under a high pressure sodium light. They are about
a month old, very healthy looking, and have just started to bloom. Despite
looking healthy much of the new branches are becoming very tiwsted and are
curling downwards. The leaves are fine, although the plants have some of the
biggest leaves I have ever seem on a tomato plant. I've heard that large
leaves has something to do with the plant being cold, as they are growing in
my basement. Could the twisted branches also be due to the cold or might it
be something else?

Well here is a site for you: pictures of mineral deficient tomatoes.
You can see if anything matches up.

http://www.hbci.com/~wenonah/min-def/tomatoes.htm

You are correct that large leaves are a result of cool temperatures. I
don't know about the twisty bit. I had that happen last year with a
couple of plants but they were healthy otherwise. I attributed it to
my lights and the plants being bent at an early age. You might also
look at this commercial greenhouse tomato handbook.
http://msucares.com/pubs/publication...tm#temperature