Old 08-03-2008, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert \(Plymouth\)[_132_] Robert \(Plymouth\)[_132_] is offline

Default I already sowed my sweet peas... they have sprouted... bit cold outside...

"Maxim" wrote in message

Well i was very keen into planting something as soon as i could because
i love doing it soo much! So i decided to plant as much as i could with
the label "Sow March - (whatever month)" So i decided to have a go with
sweet peas, however, they have already sprouted as i propagated them
indoors. Its still quite cold outside and soon the peas will begin to
grow out those long winding support lines. I purchased one of these off
ebay recently:

http://tinyurl.com/2ht3pb

Would this be enough to shield the peas for a while? But problem also
is, what happens when the supports start to grow from the sweet pea
stems..?

Sweet Peas are very tough and should not be mollycoddled. I sow mine
outdoors in pots in October/November and add a few extra sowings in January.
They appreciate a bit of wind protection but yours should be hardened off to
go outside by putting them out in the day and bringing in at night for a few
days, and then put them in a sheltered outdoor spot before planting out. I
have a few self sown sweet pea plants that have been out on the allotment
all winter and they are looking good and healthy.

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments Association
www.rraa.moonfruit.com