Old 08-03-2008, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeff Layman Jeff Layman is offline

Default Nettle patch

robert wrote:
(snip)
A possible alternative that you may wish to consider for a woodland
setting would be Hedge Woundwort, Stachys sylvatica. Although it has
some similar characteristics of the stinging nettle it is not of the
same family. The reddish purple flowers are quite interesting and
attractive to bees. It has flourished in the wooded part of our
garden along with a variety of other native woodland/woodland edge
plants.

The main disadvantage of Hedge Woundwort is its awful smell when bruised.

I suggest that you check what the food plants are of British caterpillars &
moths, and see if any of those (other than stinging nettles) might suit the
situations you have in mind. However, my feeling is that most of those -
like stinging nettles - will not like shade.

Of course, it may not be possible to source the seed in large quantity even
if you find something suitable.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)