Old 08-03-2008, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Eddy Eddy is offline

Default Orsemarinus officinalis Irene - UK available?

Sacha wrote:
That may well have been the so-called 'Salcombe Rosemary' that I posted a
pic of on here some time ago, Pam. Nobody can actually name it but thinks
it must be a sport of some sort. I think Judith's husband is still trying
to get his botanist friends to track that one down. The Salcombe one is
even longer but from the description of 'Irene', I'd say the Salcombe
Rosemary isn't as deep in colour, perhaps.

http://i1.tinypic.com/6c6mufk.jpg

Wow, Sacha! That's beautiful. I think I feel an obsession coming on!
I've GOT to have some of this. Hmmmm. Pity I can't pick a little
sprig while sauntering past that wall! :-)

Makes the US patenting of the Irene a bit of a nonsense, doesn't it!
Unless, of course, it IS the Irene!

Eddy.

P.S. Off topic, Sacha, did you hear the R4 news this morning and the
interview with a Jersey chap who says Jersey has similarities to certain
East European states, in terms of being closed and somewhat governed by
fear! He referred to the power of the island's Bailiff, for example,
saying it was a left-over of France's Ancien Regime. All I can say is
that in researching my grandparents' fate there (during the Nazi
occupation) I have met some resistance and "closedness" from island
authorities. They have not wanted to be as communicative as one would
have expected!