Old 08-03-2008, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default ?m1 Mountfield Rotorvator

On 8 Mar, 17:21, "Muddymike" wrote:
"cliff_the_gardener" wrote in message

When I was looking for a rotavator a gent told me to stay clear of
Briggs and Stratton because they run for 10 minutes and stop. Have to
leave them and let them cool down and then they start. *His advice to
me was to get a machine with a Honda engine because they are so
reliable.
Asking around to confirm this and got a few people saying the same
thing.
Unfortuantely Steve you are not the only one to have to suffer this
problem, regretably no simple solution (unless you fancy fitting a
different motor!)

Yes the Honda is considered a better engine, yet I have owned (and still do
own) many B&S powered machines with no problem. My Billy Goat is B&S powered
and it starts second pull every time and runs perfectly as did my old Merry
Tiller rotavator that I gave away when I moved. Both my Hayter grass cutters
are B&S powered, so long as I remember to run them dry at the end of the
mowing season they both have always started with ease at the beginning of
the new season and continue to do so hot or cold. Admittedly they are both
electric start which makes life easier. My only 4 stroke machine without a
B&S engine is the snow blower which has a Tecumseh Snow King. Again it has
never failed to start when I have asked it to but I do look after it with
regular oil changes and fresh fuel into a dry tank each season.

Mike

Sounds like a problem I once had, the cap on the petrol tank wasn't
letting air into the tank so a vaccume was developing so stoping the
fuel from flowing.after a few minutes the air seeped back into the
tank and it would go again for a few mins.
worth checking.

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries