Old 09-03-2008, 12:23 PM
oaks oaks is offline
Registered User

Location: Rochester, Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pentreath View Post
I am now thouroughly fed up with the squirrels in my garden stealing
nuts from the bird feeder. I've tried various locations, including
suspending it from a 15' length of wire strung horizontally from one
wall to another. This morning they've finally learnt how to shimmy
along the wire.

I've just looked at various gimicky contraptions online, but they all
seem to have weaknesses. The yanks have an electric one which spins
when the little blighters get onto it and throws them off at a tangent
- the problem seems to be that in spinning it also sprays seeds all
over the place so that they can just eat from the ground.

I think simple must be better, so I'm more attracted to the type that
have an outer cage with holes too small for squirrels to get in, eg
http://url2it.com/egf

Anyone got any comments on this type? Failing this I'm considering
putting 240v through the bloody thing.

Cheers!

Martin
Hi Martin
I have three peanut feeders around my wood and loads of squirrels. I thought this would be a problem but they never touch them.

One solution might be to plant around a hundred mature oak trees about the garden, this seems to keep them occupied.

A thousand sweet chestnut would certainly help.

Sorry, thats probably not much help. At home in the garden they destroy my feeders, they actually eat them. Just surprised that they leave them alone in the wood.

Good luck
Colin
http://millwoodnature.com/