Old 09-03-2008, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeff Layman Jeff Layman is offline

Default Plants for fence?

Eddy wrote:

Thanks for this, clarifying Sarcococca. I know the soil is more acid
than alkaline, so it might have a tough time, but if it tolerates dry
soil then it would look good. I think I'll keep this in reserve,
should whatever I choose fail.

Not sure, but Hedera comes in so many forms there must be something!
What about an Ilex? Something like the crenata cultivars can be
pretty dwarf, or at least slow growing. Even bog-standard holly can
be kept in bounds by trimming it.

With something tumbling from the top of the fence, I'ld like as much
of the tumbling to be visible as possible, so the lower plant really
needs to be more of a ground-hugger, rather than only ground-cover.

Other thoughts - Cotoneaster dammeri, Daphne laureola, Euonymus fortunei,
Hypericum calycinum, Waldsteinia ternata.

The verges are full of snowdrops at the moment, the
honeysuckle is beginning to leaf, tiny violets appear later, as well
as numerous other dainty little flowers.

Enjoy!

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)