Old 09-03-2008, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeff Layman Jeff Layman is offline

Default lavander in pots: what compost?

Lazarus Cooke wrote:
I'm going to buy a few lavander plants to put in big pots in my front
(North facing) garden in Brixton. What sort of compost should I put
them in? On the one hand, I want to be nice to them. but on the other,
I associate them with pretty rough garrigue landscapes.

What's more, they'll have to surive several weeks in August without me
there to water them.

Your compost should be free-draining, and preferably poor in nutrients. If
you have any old soil, mix it with some grit (about 2:1), and plant in that.
As to watering, they will survive a week or two without water (and should
recover when watered), but several weeks in August is pushing it a bit! You
could always add some water-retaining granules to the soil, but don't overdo
it - a half or third the amount recommended for hanging baskets will do.

However, your lavenders will not thank you for being in a north-facing site.
Remember they are plants of open habit from southern Europe - they are
adapted to hot Mediterranean-climate sun all day. Without that, they will
tend to grow tall and spindly.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)