Old 10-03-2008, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
DA DA is offline

Default Neem as pesticide - how effective against Japanese beetle?

enigma wrote:

not John, but Milky Spore is Bacillus popillae. Bacillus
thuringiesis is one of a large family where different types
work better on certain insects. Bt kills caterpillers
(unfortunately it's not selective which caterpillers). Bti (Bt
israeliensis) kills mosquito larvae.

lee

Thank you for your responses, guys. I am sure glad I have asked the
question here. The guy on the radio sounded very convincing it would have
worked and I would have wasted time and money.

Anyways, I am getting a sense that getting rid of japanese beetle and
instant gratification are not to be used in one sentence. Still, I guess,
I am not really grasping the concept of trying to kill grubs of a beetle
that can fly. What exactly would prevent them to fly over from some nearby
property? I think this is exactly what happened he until we planted
roses, there were no JBs to speak of. Then they simply gathered for the
treat and decided to stay...

Anyways, are the claims of getting rid of JB for good based on the
assumption that spores stay in the ground once introduced and will kill
the next spring's grubs, too?

Thanks for your comment, guys, keep them coming. I think I am on the right
track to at least keeping JB infestation in check if not getting rid of
them completely.

D~

Delivered via http://www.gardenalley.com/
Gardening Online Community
rec.gardens - 31466 messages and counting!