Old 10-03-2008, 11:16 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default OT (but important): From March 2008 Bee Culture

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Same deal with us. As long as we can't prove it's bad, we have to keep
drinking and eating it. They test for one chemical at a time. Nobody
studies chemical interaction. It's called synergy when the sum is more
than the parts.

Scientists still don't know for sure what causes CCD, and it may be
pesticides are the problem pure and simple (well, pesticides aren't
pure or simple, are they?). Certainly the stress that constant
exposure to pesticides exerts on the honey bee population, and the
strain this stress puts on a honey bee's immune system is one of the
links in the CCD chain.

As part of this session that list of chemicals I talked about last
month that was found in wax, brood, adult bees, honey and pollen was
shown again, and again it started at the ceiling, ran down the wall,
down the center isle (dodging the many people sitting on the floor),
and headed out the door. The list is so scary that it makes me want
to sit on the floor. We are surely killing bees by the way we are
keeping bees.

And ourselves through this chemical pollution.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/shinelab/research/PPCP.htm

Project Goals

"The overarching goal of this research project is to develop a ranking
system for PPCPs that quantifies the potential relative risk that
compounds pose to human health and ecological health. We will use this
relative ranking process to narrow the list of PPCPs to a more
manageable subset of priority PPCPs, those that likely pose the greatest
potential risk. These high risk PPCPs will be identified as requiring
additional research into their fate and transport, ecotoxicolgy, and
human toxicology."

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA