Old 10-03-2008, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

Default Squirrel-proof bird feeders

"Eddy" wrote in message
BAC wrote:

An even simpler way of stopping squirrels helping themselves to 'muesli'
would be to cease tempting them into the garden by putting food out in
the
first place.

But the poor little birdies need it badly at this time of year, BAC,
don't they?

I suspect a lot of people who put out bird food do so primarily because they
enjoy watching the birds which it attracts into their gardens.

Trouble is, the poor little squirrels, rats, mice, etc., are just as hungry
as the poor little birdies, so it's hardly surprising when they, too, turn
up for the hand-outs. The furry scavengers aren't in a position to know the
food has been 'reserved' for their feathered counterparts.

However, once the cold season is out of the way and there
is no food aplenty in the countryside around here we stop the peanuts,
fatballs, and seeds.

Well done.