Old 10-03-2008, 06:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default Shrub ID?

On 3/9/2008 9:35 PM, Val wrote:
"David E. Ross" wrote in message
On 3/9/2008 6:06 PM, Val wrote:
I think that's a Crape Myrtle. There are quite a few different kinds and
colors but from what I can see in the pictures it looks like some sort of
Crape Myrtle. Crape is like 'cape' with an R

Val

If you mean Lagerstroemia indica, this cannot be correct. The humidity
in Louisiana would cause such mildew that vigorous growth would not be
possible. Even in my low-humidity area, mildew is common on crape
myrtle, much more common than on roses or other plants.

New growth is quite red. Fall foliage turns red-orange without there
being any frost; indeed, a hard frost ends the color.

Finally, I had a crape myrtle for eight years. They had been planted on
my block as street trees. While I saw many hummingbirds in my area, I
never saw one feeding from crape myrtle flowers.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Once again, as always, you are full of pompous, pontificating CRAP; as in
crape with no 'e'. Now head off to the University of Louisiana horticulture
site (among many others) and check out their MANY different cultivars of
Lagerstroemia indica. You will find that crape myrtle is one of the most
popular and widely used landscaping plants of the south and southeast. Then
you should probably check out all the images and documentation of
hummingbirds swarming crape myrtle. Contrary your vast *KNOWLEDGE* Santa
Monica is not the be all, end all, center of horticulture. Obviously,
despite all your self touted wisdom, an extremely poor choice was made as to
the cultivar of Lagerstroemia indica moldering in your garden. Many have
been developed that are quite resistant to mildew.

You're a first cousin to that "tree expert guy" aren't you.

Val

Others also question the identification as crape myrtle. They suggest
it might indeed by pomegranate. Now that I've read their replies, I
must say that the flowers do indeed resemble pomegranate. Further,
hummingbirds do feed from pomegranate flowers.

It now appears that you are the one who is full of crap.