Old 10-03-2008, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ornata Ornata is offline
Registered User

Default citrus fertilizing

On 8 Mar, 19:50, danny22 wrote:
hi all

i just bought a small lemon plant and a small orange plant (am loathe
to say tree at the moment because theyre not even a foot tall yet!) i
have planted them in john inns number 2 compost, as advised - hope this
is ok. i know that they are greedy as anything when it comes to water
and fertilizer. *i bought from a garden centre something called 'citrus
drop by drop' basically, twist the cap off this little vial, turn upside
down into the soil and for 15 days it slowly drips out a fertilizer into
the soil.

i have just potted them in much larger pots - they were in 3x3inch ones
previously. *should i give them time to get used to their new
environment before giving fertilizer? i dont expect fruit in the next
year or anything, but i would like to give them a fighting chance!

thanks all

danny

--
danny22

There is a good reason why the advice generally given is to repot a
plant into a container that is only a size or two larger than its
previous pot; unless the plant is extremely fast-growing, when moved
from a small to a large pot it will have large volumes of stagnant
compost in contact with its roots and those roots can start to rot.
Citrus have shallow roots, apparently. I had a lemon tree that I
potted on because I thought it couldn't possibly do well in so small a
container; about a year later when it was looking poorly, I took it
out of its pot to find that it had barely rooted into the new
compost.

John Innes No. 2 is a good base, but you could add composted bark to
the mix, and also perlite, which will help to aerate the compost.