Old 10-03-2008, 06:03 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Virgin gardener needs container veg help!

"Rebecca" wrote
Ok, so after abandoning the garden last year I am determined to
impress my husband with my, as yet, unknown gardening skills! I live
in the south of uk and the containers will be quite sheltered. I
understand the more sun the better, and to use potting compost (John
Innes no. 3) instead of soil.

Ive looked in loads of books but none seem to answer my questions
specifically - I need a step by step idiots guide!

I have bought the following seeds/ bulbs and now have a million
questions...apart from the generic " what do I do with them and when?!
(which is really what I need to know).

Ive bought seeds - carrots, dwarf/bush bean and peas (these seeds all
say to sow from late March, apart from carrots being May)
bulbs etc - garlic and onions (just say plant in early
Spring)

Garlic can be planted outside now but it would have been much better planted
in Sept, early October. It's as tough as old boots and will come through a
winter growing well and you get a much much better crop from autumn planted
cloves.

For best results do I need to start these off inside, in little
individual tiny pots, prior to planting out; or can I plant out
straight away?

Carrots, Beans and Peas can wait and be planted in situ idc or you could
plant the Beans and Peas in pots but not yet. I repeat..not yet.

2. When would you ideally do this? I had thought of starting onions
and garlic but DIY store man told me to wait awhile till weather much
better (!?who knows when that is)

If he is still telling clients to plant Garlic in the spring he's not much
good! Plant your garlic asap and you will get a crop, only small heads
though, the onion sets should be planted before the end of the month.

2. Sounds daft, but am I right in assuming I dont need very deep
containers/ troughs for the peas and dwarf beans? Also, do I need
stakes in whilst seedlings or do I just add as they get bigger?

Yes.

3. Can I plant garlic and onions in same container?

Yes. But the more room you give them the bigger they will grow, we always
plant 9 inches apart with 1 foot between rows, not the silly spacing they
say on the packets which means hand weeding on your knees. In containers you
will need close spacing but remember onions hate being crowded by anything
so ensure they are getting as much sun as possible and don't let any other
plants or weeds grow over or around them.

4. Dont laugh, but apart from planting in potting compost container,
do I add any soil?

John Innes is a soil based compost, so no.

5. I have liquid tomato food...would this be ok to use on all the
above?

No. Good for Tomatoes and making flowers flower.

6. Also, I read somewhere to keep extra unused seeds for next year in
the fridge. Sounds bizarre....or is it true?

We store seed in the under stairs cupboard where it is very cool and dark
and dry. They could get damp in the fridge through condensation.

7. Any tips or general advice to help would be much appreciated!

Where do you want me to start... :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden