Old 10-03-2008, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Squirrel-proof bird feeders

On Mar 10, 6:19 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 10/3/08 18:01, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
On Mar 10, 5:32 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 10/3/08 11:31, in article , "Eddy"

wrote:
BAC wrote:

An even simpler way of stopping squirrels helping themselves to 'muesli'
would be to cease tempting them into the garden by putting food out in the
first place.

But the poor little birdies need it badly at this time of year, BAC,
don't they? However, once the cold season is out of the way and there
is no food aplenty in the countryside around here we stop the peanuts,
fatballs, and seeds.

Eddy.

The RSPB recommend you feed all the year round. The birds will take what
they want but they'll 'remember' your garden and continue to visit it.
During the summer, feeding them encourages them in to eat the nasties you
don't want. Put a bird feeder near something with e.g. Green or blackfly
and the birds will find the insects as well as the seeds. We never stop
feeding the birds and they work with the biological controls in keeping down
unwanted predators in the greenhouses all year round.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

That's a good tip and one I shall use Sacha, how are you faring in the
storms? We are being buffeted at the moment, it's not nice.

Judith

It's very nasty and it's getting worse but we're nowhere near as bad as
people near the sea. High tides and high winds are a bad combination. I've
been going round securing windows and stuffing towels around the sills of
the ones that are in the path of the storm! I'm also drawing all the
curtains to give an illusion of calm and cosiness and Ray has a log fire
roaring up the chimney - these are all compensations for a truly vicious
day. The beginnings of this storm woke me at 4am today and it's ebbed and
flowed all day - we even had a brief glimmer of sunshine from time to time.
But overall, I must say it's a real brute!
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
'We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.'

At least you are all safe and hopefully the greenhouses are still
intact. You paint a picture of a comfortable, warm home. BTW You
sent me your new email addy some time ago, I lost it!!!!

Judith