Old 10-03-2008, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Nettle patch

oaks writes

Hi
I would like to create a nettle patch down in my wood. It would be for
the benefit of wildlife.

Which particular wildlife were you seeking to benefit?

I already have several small scattered
patches, too small to be much benefit, I think and also in quite shady
locations. I was thinking of something grander.
I have found a source of native British seed were I can get about
70,000 seeds for less than a tenner. Does anyone have any tips or
experience of doing this?
Ground preparation, I have read that nettles need nitrogen enriched
soil but I am loathe to bring chemicals into the wood, in fact I
wouldn't do that. Any suggestions?
Also they would have to compete with existing bracken and brambles,
pretty tough competition.

Thanks
Colin

--