Old 11-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Julian Tatlock Julian Tatlock is offline
Registered User

Location: St Albans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca[_2_] View Post
Hi all,

I have bought the following seeds/ bulbs and now have a million
questions...apart from the generic " what do I do with them and when?!
(which is really what I need to know).

Ive bought seeds - carrots, dwarf/bush bean and peas (these seeds all
say to sow from late March, apart from carrots being May)
bulbs etc - garlic and onions (just say plant in early
Spring)

1. For best results do I need to start these off inside, in little
individual tiny pots, prior to planting out; or can I plant out
straight away?

2. When would you ideally do this? I had thought of starting onions
and garlic but DIY store man told me to wait awhile till weather much
better (!?who knows when that is)

2. Sounds daft, but am I right in assuming I dont need very deep
containers/ troughs for the peas and dwarf beans? Also, do I need
stakes in whilst seedlings or do I just add as they get bigger?

3. Can I plant garlic and onions in same container?

4. Dont laugh, but apart from planting in potting compost container,
do I add any soil?

5. I have liquid tomato food...would this be ok to use on all the
above?

6. Also, I read somewhere to keep extra unused seeds for next year in
the fridge. Sounds bizarre....or is it true?

7. Any tips or general advice to help would be much appreciated!

Many thanks in advance!
Rebecca
1. IF sowing early varieties of carrot plant in a pot in warm sheltered spot with a cloche over the seeds ( a transparent plastic pot), for a succession of carrots you could continue sowing a few seeds in different pots every week from mid spring to mid summer.

2. Plant out onion setts over next weeks, make sure soil is well compacted, onions need a good stable base to grow well.

3. Use as big a pot as you’ve got for the onions they need to be at least 6 – 8 inches apart.

Plant strong smelling marigolds (tagetes) to distract carrot fly or put onion plants close to carrots

.....good luck

www.jtgardendesigns.com

a href="http://www.jtgardendesigns.com/"www.jtgardendesigns.com//a