Old 11-03-2008, 06:10 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Virgin gardener needs container veg help!

In article ,
Amethyst Deceiver wrote:

In article 87099bff-28f8-4e2b-8610-cdc731f73502
@h25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com, says...

2. Sounds daft, but am I right in assuming I dont need very deep
containers/ troughs for the peas and dwarf beans? Also, do I need
stakes in whilst seedlings or do I just add as they get bigger?

My first gardening year, I planted my peas and beans in 6" deep troughs.
I got a pretty good pea harvest but the slugs ate all my beans. They ate
all my beans last year too and this year I'm going to buy nematodes, and
grow climbing beans instead. Peas don't seem to need deep roots. I added
my stakes as the peas came up, rather than straight away, and did okay.

You can grow climbing French beans and runner beans in tubs - you'll
need some long canes but the flowers are pretty. I'm planning on having
a tub of each by the front door and a tub or two of each in the back
garden. If I get lots of beans I won't mind if people nick 'em, and if I
don't, there won't be any to steal!

USE IRON PHOSPHATE BAIT
1 Choose a bait product carefully.
Baits containing methiocarb kill
earthworms and beneficial insects.

2 Baits containing iron phosphate
(such as Sluggo?, Escar-Go?, or
Worry Free?) are safer for children
and pets than baits containing
metaldehyde. Nevertheless, always
keep this and all other pesticides out
of the reach of children and pets.

3 After eating iron phosphate, snails
and slugs stop feeding and die within
3 to 6 days. They often crawl into
secluded places, so you may not see
dead bodies.

4 Reapply iron phosphate baits every
2 weeks.

Iron phosphate has taken care of 95% of my slug and snail problems.
Let us know how the nematodes work out.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/