Old 11-03-2008, 10:39 PM
wind'n'stone wind'n'stone is offline
Registered User

Thanks everyone. Like the idea of planting some ash. willow, birch in with the beech hedge to try and create some form of windbreak. I currently have some of that plastic windbreak stugg tied to the fence but the recent strong winds has ripped it off and sent it to the other side of the field so I really need to try and get a bit of shelter created.
Could build up a Holly hedge from the edge of the Beech hedge. A friend has given me some juniper to try.
Never thought about bamboo. I have an area to the side of the slope which would look good with bamboos and sedges/grasses.
Scots Pine - would love to try this but does it not need deep roots and wettish soil??
No idea what kind of rock I have - not sandstone, granite or whin looks slaty in bits but needs a pnuematic drill to break it up!
G hod idea as it grows well in this area (West Coast - 25miles inland though) butHave loads of gorse/broom and whin in the fields - would rather try something else.
Thanks for all your input - any other ideas welcomed - I feel a trip down the nursery coming on.
= at least you all know what my user name means!!