Old 11-03-2008, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Nettle patch

oaks writes

Hi
I would like to create a nettle patch down in my wood. It would be for
the benefit of wildlife.-

Which particular wildlife were you seeking to benefit?
-

The answer is:

My birds probably, they like the butterflies (and their offspring).
It's kind of an holistic approach and hard to be species specific. What
benefits one, often benefits many. There is a lot of evidence that many
species benefit from the odd nettle patch and some are totally
dependant on them.

If you're looking to benefit the birds indirectly through the
caterpillars that feed on nettles, my understanding is that the
butterflies lay on nettles that are in the sun, not in full shade.
Therefore some other wildlife friendly use for the woodland might be
more effective.
--
Kay