Old 11-03-2008, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore Pam Moore is offline

Default Nettle patch

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 18:25:52 +0000, oaks
wrote:

Hi
I would like to create a nettle patch down in my wood. It would be for
the benefit of wildlife. I already have several small scattered
patches, too small to be much benefit, I think and also in quite shady
locations. I was thinking of something grander.
I have found a source of native British seed were I can get about
70,000 seeds for less than a tenner. Does anyone have any tips or
experience of doing this?
Ground preparation, I have read that nettles need nitrogen enriched
soil but I am loathe to bring chemicals into the wood, in fact I
wouldn't do that. Any suggestions?
Also they would have to compete with existing bracken and brambles,
pretty tough competition.

Thanks
Colin

In view of what's been said about nettles preferring sunny patches,
how about transplanting some from shade to somewhere more sunny. They
have such strong (yellow) roots, I'm sure they'll move easily.

Pam in Bristol