Old 11-03-2008, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ave ave is offline

Default Squirrel-proof bird feeders

On Mar 7, 12:53 pm, Martin Pentreath
wrote:
I am now thouroughly fed up with the squirrels in my garden stealing
nuts from the bird feeder. I've tried various locations, including
suspending it from a 15' length of wire strung horizontally from one
wall to another. This morning they've finally learnt how to shimmy
along the wire.

I've just looked at various gimicky contraptions online, but they all
seem to have weaknesses. The yanks have an electric one which spins
when the little blighters get onto it and throws them off at a tangent
- the problem seems to be that in spinning it also sprays seeds all
over the place so that they can just eat from the ground.

I think simple must be better, so I'm more attracted to the type that
have an outer cage with holes too small for squirrels to get in, eghttp://url2it.com/egf

Anyone got any comments on this type? Failing this I'm considering
putting 240v through the bloody thing.

Cheers!

Martin

The ones with an outer cage work (dad's got one), but my cheaper
option is to slip the plastic cover from a used up spindle of CDs or
DVDs through the hanging wire over the top of the feeder (or any
similar piece of wide, smooth plastic) and this freaks out the
squirrels, as it's slippery and moves about and they find it really
hard to creep around, so they usually fall off and get fed up, but
obviously the feeder needs to hang well away from anywhere that these
flying rats can leap from and onto it directly, regards dreschrode