Old 12-03-2008, 04:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R Bill R is offline

Default Pine cones keep kitty out of flower beds

wrote:

If neighborhood cats or other critters are digging in your flower
beds, try this neat tip from reader Nancy Jones:

"I have tried something I read about to help keep the neighbors' seven
cats out of my side flower garden where the soil is loose and rich
with peat moss and they love that for their personal bathroom. "I go
to an apartment complex near my house and gather up laundry baskets of
pine cones and then spread them around in my garden. This seems to
work.

Nancy Jones is full of crap! Pine cones (which I HAVE tried) don't work
at all. The only thing that I have found that works is water. There
are motion sensing water sprayers that work quite well in keeping
animals out of your garden.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years