Old 12-03-2008, 10:43 PM
wind'n'stone wind'n'stone is offline
Registered User

Wink

Lots of ideas, thanks.
Dave - I have a little group of Mountain Ash (Rowan) at the opposite corner of the garden - we have a superstition in Scotland that Rowan guards us from witches so it's quite commonly planted near the house. My Gran used to keep a branch above the door. That and Silver Birches are most common around here though S Birch does not like the wind.

Eddy - Heathers - I am going to put in a heather bed at the North end of the back garden area - soil there was highest in acid when I done the test and is pretty exposed so I thought they’d be a good choice for that area. Just need to decide whether to stick to one colour, one type, or just chuck in a variety and see how they go.

Echinosum - wow, where do you get all that stuff from? The guys at my local nursery would be delighted if someone asked for something other than marigolds and roses! Seriously though I never thought of S. Lanata, I call it wooly willow, that could be a possibility. I already planted some picea glauca albertiana conica in some large tubs along the roadside. They have done not too badly over the winter, so I could consider some of the larger, denser varieties. Also salix caprea - goat willow, again good idea haven't seen it locally though - will ask at nursery what they think.

Nick - I’d just love to plant Scots Pines, I seen it in what’s left of the old Caledonia forest and I think it’s awesome, just worried about size, height etc. Though my friend did point out by the time it got to that height it wouldn’t be my problem - maybe I should plant up a few in the bottom of the field just because I can?? Are you sure it would cope with 9" of soil and then rock?

Spider - Sea Buckthorn I’ve never actually seen but googled it and I think it looks a bit too much like gorse for me. But, Tamarix Gallica is supposedly good as a windbreak so I may try and source that it was a plant I had many years ago but never thought about. I'll need to check if it's toxic though (these sheep again - yes, I know they shouldn't eat it but the deal is I can only plant up the garden if there is no poisonus plants so . . )

Plenty food for thought, I can just see the windbreak up the plants in front of it and me sitting in the sun . . . . . ten years time perhaps