Old 13-03-2008, 03:27 AM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default Pine cones keep kitty out of flower beds

QUESTION: "My husband & I planted a Bradford pear tree in our front
yard when we built our house six years ago. We don't have a sprinkler
system and the yard gets direct sun most of the day. The tree has not
grown much in this six year period. Our next door neighbor planted the
same type of tree after ours and theirs is huge.

Maybe you planted yours too deep. maybe you dug a hole and did not prepare
a planting site. Maybe the tree has girdling roots from improper planting.
Maybe the tree did not have any roots. Maybe the roots were crushed. Maybe
tree has trunk wounds. Maybe the mulch is too deep and against the trunk.
maybe there is no mulch at all. Maybe their tree was fertilized with
nitrogen (bigger is not always better). And the list goes on and on.

"We planted two autumn maples two years ago and they are not growing
either. We are concerned that we did not dig the holes wide enough and
that the roots are not spreading as they should.

Do not dig a hole. Anybody can dig a hole. Your tree required a prepared
planting site and not a hole.

What do you think? If
the holes are not wide enough, can we dig around the trees to widen
the holes?" - Sheri Brooks

Maybe if the trees were planted too deep you could replant them. Also if
the tree has woody roots while you are at it properly prune them.

All factors would be based on the environment, which will include
maintenance, unless you have noticed any health issues with the tree.
Although it is difficult not to make comparisons with your neighbor's
tree, plants are living things just like people and will grow and
develop at their own rate. I wouldn't recommend digging around the
tree's root system as you suggest because you are likely to cut off
growth that the tree has made over the past 6 years.

If the tree was planted with crushed root a professional could properly
prune the roots. Might be cheaper to buy a new tree, if you can find a
healthy one, and plant it right.

If you believe that there is a problem with the plant, you can contact
your local Conservation District Office (also known as NRCS) which
will be listed in your local phone directory under your state's
department of agriculture.

Your best bet would be contacting someone in your area with an understanding
of tree biology.

These are the opinions of John A. Keslick, Jr. and not the opinions of other
people on this list.

--
Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20..._planting.html

Improper Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Tree Farming and Related Problems
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Troubles in the Rhizosphere