Old 13-03-2008, 06:27 AM posted to rec.gardens
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Pine cones keep kitty out of flower beds

Sheldon wrote:
On Mar 12, 7:54�pm, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message

Bill R wrote:
wrote:
If neighborhood cats or other critters are digging in your
flower
beds, try this neat tip from reader Nancy Jones:

"I have tried something I read about to help keep the neighbors'
seven cats out of my side flower garden where the soil is loose
and rich with peat moss and they love that for their personal
bathroom. "I go to an apartment complex near my house and gather
up laundry baskets of pine cones and then spread them around in
my garden. This seems to work.

Nancy Jones is full of crap! �Pine cones (which I HAVE tried)
don't work at all.

They usually work if they're piled in a solid layer at least six
inches deep, but then so does pine bark nuggets which is much
easier
to obtain and work with. �But pine cones just strewn about on bare
soil will do nothing to discourage cats, and may even encourage
them
because cats love to bat them around like toys. �Of course if you
live in close proximity to other homes that have cats and there
isn't much acreage for them to roam then cats will take up
residence in the closest flower beds no matter what deterent is
used... wily cats know how to avoid sprinklers and they derive
great joy in antagonizing the biggest meanest dogs.

That's why cats were invented - to antagonize dogs, which serve no
purpose.

I suppose to cats dogs don't serve a purpose.

Of course they do. Like all things they exist to please cats.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)