Old 13-03-2008, 06:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Decorative bark

"zzznot" wrote in message
I thought I'd spread some decorative bark on
the ground of the flower beds and between
some bushes, where the adobe soil otherwise
gets cracked and bare. It's supposed to
hold down weeds and retain moisture. So,
is there any downside to using it? Or, is
it just good organic matter anyway?

Thanks.

J.

My experience is limited to cedar bark, in both chip and shredded form. In
dry weather, the chips blow around. Either that or the squirrels play soccer
with them. And, they don't form a nice mat. The shredded bark tends to stay
put. I put down a 4" layer and it lasts a couple of years. Color fades, but
never looks weird. Speaking of which, do not under any circumstances buy the
stupid artificially colored mulch. Nasty. Ugly. My neighbor uses it. He says
"When people see it, they know I've been gardening."

Wrong. People know you think Fingerhut is an upscale shopping experience.
:-)