Old 14-03-2008, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens
JXStern JXStern is offline

Default Decorative bark

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 19:09:11 -0500, Jangchub
wrote:

Stuff called Deco Bark is not very beneficial in any way that I can
tell. It doesn't break down well, it mats and doesn't allow water to
get into the ground and gives nothing back to the soil. It is far
better to use any form of shredded mulch and use a three inch layer.
Several times a year fluff it up and get some air in there. I cheat
by putting a much thinner layer around the drip line of any plant,
including trees, or herbaceous annual/perennial plants. Easy for
water to get to the soil where the roots are that way.

Hmmm.

Well, I've only put down a modest amount so far, we should get some
rain this weekend, see how that goes, but then I think I'll check out
the local OSH for mulchey replacements.

(I've tried asking questions about this or that at a couple of OSH's
recently, and nobody seems to know anything about anything)

(I'm pretty much novice regarding anything larger than a sixteen inch
pot)

Thanks to all.

J.