Old 14-03-2008, 11:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Ligustrum

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 23:39:17 -0500, "Dioclese" NONE wrote:

My place has white-tailed deer. I want to plant some kind of border on the
long driveway for appearance sake. Deer should not be engorging my efforts
towards this goal. I do not want any hedge of any sort. Want something the
riding mower can maneuver around.

The soil along the driveway border is around 5" deep, heavily laden with
gravel. Soil is a brown clay. Below 5" is caliche. Can ligustrum work in
this kind of central TX environment and soil? Plan to place these 80"
apart, and trim like a tree, not a bush.

Driveway borders is often a landscaping mistake. Why would you want
your driveway to look like an airline run way? Why focus attention
on the driveway? Instead, create a bump or feature that will
complement the house or front door, not the garage.