Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Leona Henderson

Default Some advice please

Dustin Slater wrote:

Howdy,

I have some nice purple basil in my front yard. How well will it
over-winter? Should I cover it on freezing nights, or just let it be? I
have a couple volunteers that just came up as well. Should I dig those out
and bring them inside for the winter? Seems like I can never grow enough for
how much we use it, and I want to save everything I can.

Same question for pepper plants. Do they over-winter? Or shall I dig it up
and bring it inside?

Thanks in advance.

Purple Basil shuld reseed itself and come up qbundantly in
the spring. It is an annual. I have ever tried toover winter
in the house as I allways have too many plants without
trying them.

Most peppers are annuals, too, but usually .. at least in my
experience.. aren't great about reseeding unless you have
allowed the pods to dry out and self seed. I always just
pulled them up when they were through producing and turing
yellow and dried out.

--
nTX USDA Z 7B
Leona