Old 15-03-2008, 02:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dioclese Dioclese is offline

Default Ligustrum

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 23:39:17 -0500, "Dioclese" NONE wrote:

My place has white-tailed deer. I want to plant some kind of border on
the
long driveway for appearance sake. Deer should not be engorging my
efforts
towards this goal. I do not want any hedge of any sort. Want something
the
riding mower can maneuver around.

The soil along the driveway border is around 5" deep, heavily laden with
gravel. Soil is a brown clay. Below 5" is caliche. Can ligustrum work
in
this kind of central TX environment and soil? Plan to place these 80"
apart, and trim like a tree, not a bush.

Ligustrum is on the do not plant list in Central Texas, but here is a
link with about as much information as you will need to plant anything
in both deep and shallow soils. In your searching on the page, there
is a pdf version of a booklet you can get for free at one of the
listed nurseries.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/watershed/plantlist.htm

Odd, at my parent's home while I was growing up, they had a line of
ligustrum they used for a left side property line. It was in north San
Anonio. The same ligustrum is still there.

Thanks for the link.

--
Dave

My vote in this primary was for the lesser
of many evils...