Old 15-03-2008, 06:01 PM posted to austin.gardening
jOhN jOhN is offline

Default Tilling trouble....errr, make that stupidity

I must have been watching too many TV commercials about "effortless"
tilling. I went out early bird this morning, rented a nice Honda rear
tine tiller (1/2 day), and watched while it bounced harmlessly off the
adobe brick my garden had turned into over the dry, dry winter.

I stupidly did not pre-water to soften the soil last week thinking the
rain would be adequate. After two hours I had broken up the top 6-8
inches of a 10 x 16 plot. It felt like I had actually plowed the back
40, by hand, with a rucksack of iron bars on my back. Also, all the
previous year's organic material seemed to be in hiding.

I'm watering now and will add some thoroughly composted stuff through
the week. Hopefully it will be ready to plant next weekend.

My garden is open to a utility easement that crawls with deer, possum,
and dillos (not to mention the neighborhood cats, dogs, and primates).
I'll be erecting a defensive barrier and am still in the planning stages.

Anyone out there have some perfected methods they'd be willing to share?

ps: I also saw a couple of mature anoles giving each other the eye,
flaring their throat sac, and changing from green to brown and back again.

jOhN