Old 16-03-2008, 02:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R Bill R is offline

Default Tomatoes: was Amaryllis roots showing on top

enigma wrote:
Bill R wrote in
:

Thank you Jackie. I try to plant at least a few new things
every year.
I also like to plant LOTS of tomatoes. This year I plan
to have at
least 15 varieties (likely over 6 dozen plants, mainly the
"salad" type smaller varieties).

what varieties are you planting & how many of each?
i planted 47 varieties/4 of each last year. i'll be planting
repeats of a few of those & several new (to me) varieties this
year. fortunately (or unfortunately, if you look at it from my
SOs view) i have *2* veggie gardens this year, the main garden
in NH & a nice big garden in NY...

lee

Lee,

I am still "planning" and haven't purchased (or started) all my seeds
yet. A few that I know, for sure, that I'll have this year are Red
Pear, Yellow Pear, Gold Nugget, Jelly Bean Red, Jelly Bean Yellow,
Juliet, Black Cherry and Green Grape. Those 8 (small) varieties are
"neighbor requested" (all my "extra" tomatoes go to the neighbors). The
"standard" varieties that I know I'll have this year are Early Girl,
Supersonic, Lemon Boy, and Yellow Ping Pong (new for me this year).
There are still a few new varieties that I am considering trying.

I start some of my plants in 6 packs, and others in 8 packs. I
generally keep four of each plant and give the extra plants to my
neighbors who have kids so that the kids can grow their own "little
tomatoes". I don't start them too early but generally have them all
started by the end of March.

I get my seeds from Totally Tomatoes (http://www.totallytomato.com) and
Tomato Growers Supply Company (http://www.tomatogrowers.com) and all the
varieties I mentioned (and LOTS of others) can be found at their sites.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL