Old 17-03-2008, 05:46 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default need help finding shrub

In article ,
Fluffball wrote:

'Sheldon[_1_ Wrote:
;779144']On Mar 16, 9:00�am, Fluffball

wrote:-
;779038 Wrote:
-
Hello,-
-
My backyard is partially facing the street and partially facing the
neighbor who has their deck out almost to the property line.
�Because
our lots are small, whenever I go to my backyard I would be in their
face and vice versa, no privacy at all! �I'm looking for evergreen
shrubs that will grow to 8 feet to act as a hedge so I don't have to
see my neighbor or the street. �I would prefer something that will
reach matured height in 3 years because I can't afford buying big
shrubs or building a fence. �I'm looking for cheaper alternatives.
Your help is greatly appreciated. �I'm in zone 6.-
-
Thank you.-

How about a Bamboo?

Tall, straight, fast growing, evergreen and doesn't need much space.

They are also very popular right now and give the place a very modern
look.-

Yesh, reminescent of the Hanoi Hilton.

Bamboo is extrordinarilly difficult to contain, especially any variety
suitable for privacy screening... when it sends up shoots across the
property line your neighbor will sue you for mega bucks and win.

Well, it seems that some people must like the Hanoi Hilton look,
including my neighbour who has used bamboo to successfully screen off
part of his garden. I don't find it invasive, just so long as I trim it
back on my side of the fence from time to time and I do any of the other
plants in my neighbours gardens.

Another thought might be a fast climber on a frame, such as a Clematis,
which have beautiful flowers.

Not to worry, Shelly is a pariah even in the underworld. Enjoy your most
versatile 'boo.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/