Old 17-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Fluffball Fluffball is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David E. Ross View Post
On 3/16/2008 3:09 PM, wrote:
We have a new flower that I don't recall seeing before. I have two
photos of it, but, unfortunately neither is very good at showing the
inside of the flower itself, as it has not fully opened today as it
has yesterday when it was sunny, but I did not have a chance to take a
picture. Anyway, it's at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24728380@N07

Some additional info: It looks sort of like a tulip, but the leaves
are not tulip-like at all. The petals are entirely wihte, while the
inside is yellowish orange. It is growing on the east side of the
house, and so has almost no direct sunlight. We are located in
southern New Jersey and it came up just recently (early to mid March).
Does anyone have any idea what it might be?

Thanks,
Boris Zakharin

While I've never seen a white crocus before, the narrow dark green
leaves with the light stripe down the middle are definitely from a crocus.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

They are usually better planted directly in your lanw, because they are long gone before you really need to cut it and they look fantastic in the spring with the backdrop of green.

BTW: the picture is most definately a Crocus!