Old 17-03-2008, 08:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default Compost Pile Advice

In article
,
" wrote:

1. I am generally lazy, so will the compost pile still decompose if I
don't go out and turn it? Or is turning it a must?

More air quickens the process as does particle size which is the same
thing. Time.

2. Are there any additives I can add that will naturally speed the
decomposition process? I remember hearing on TV that bone meal can be
sprinkled on the pile in between layers, but I wasn't sure if that did
anything.

Nitrogen, Blood, Manures some are expensive some are thrown away
go with the latter. Time again.

3. Are grass and leaves enough variety to get a good pile going?
Again, I am lazy, so saving and bringing food scraps out to the back
of the yard is really a bummer.

You are not composting you are rotting. Still you are not trashing
things that were once alive.

http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/bibli...780878579914-0

Thanks for your input!

Bill who thinks improving your soil is good for you and future folks.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA