Old 17-03-2008, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Compost Pile Advice

wrote in message
Hi everyone. I am a novice gardener and first time homeowner who has
a question about composting. I have a corner in my backyard that I
have used to dump grass clipping, leaves, and small twigs for the
better part of the year. Now that spring has sprung, I walked to that
corner of the yard expecting to find some black gold that I can use on
my rose and vegetable garden. But what I found instead, was a bunch
of stinky wet leaves that were blackened, but not fully decomposed.
Now I figure that everything is in the process of decomposing, but I
thought that I would have had more by now. So here are my questions:

1. I am generally lazy, so will the compost pile still decompose if I
don't go out and turn it? Or is turning it a must?

It will eventually rot down but if you want compost, you must turn it.

2. Are there any additives I can add that will naturally speed the
decomposition process? I remember hearing on TV that bone meal can be
sprinkled on the pile in between layers, but I wasn't sure if that did
anything.

The most important additive is the introduction of air by turning it. The
other important additive is nitrogen which can come from the grass clippings
but also from such simple things as urine or some form of nitrogenous
fertiliser.

3. Are grass and leaves enough variety to get a good pile going?

Yes, but you must get the carbon/nitrogen ratios right. Most of us don't so
give it a hand or just let things rot as you are doing.

Again, I am lazy, so saving and bringing food scraps out to the back
of the yard is really a bummer.

The easiest thing to do with food scraps to improve your soil is to simply
bury them. this can result in animals digging them up so whether you do so
or not depends on your situation.