Old 17-03-2008, 10:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default what to use for garden mulch to reduce evaporation

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 18:49:52 -0400, wrote:

Last year was insane

It was so hot and dry and no rain for weeks and weeks

I think i spent an average of $40 a month just on the vegetable garden and
shrubs.

I was thinking of using Hay or Straw I am not sure what I can get

I need something that will reduce water evaporation and not cause growth of
mold.

I really need some hints this year
last year i resorted to letting everything but the zucinni and the tomatoes
die because it was costing too much and taking too much time to water often
2 times a day for 30 minutes or more just for the garden.

Straw is better than hay. I have used compost, cut grass, and plastic
sheeting. The plants mulched with compost responded exceptionally
well.