Old 18-03-2008, 01:39 AM posted to rec.gardens
David Hare-Scott David Hare-Scott is offline

Default what to use for garden mulch to reduce evaporation

wrote in message ...
Last year was insane

It was so hot and dry and no rain for weeks and weeks

I think i spent an average of $40 a month just on the vegetable garden and
shrubs.

I was thinking of using Hay or Straw I am not sure what I can get

For water retention use whatever organic material that you can get that is
cheap and readily available. As others have said the quality as it breaks
down varies. However if my budget allowed for either thick mulch of a cheap
material or only a thin mulch of a higher nutrient material I would choose
thick.

I need something that will reduce water evaporation and not cause growth of
mold.

Not possible, there will always be some mould, fungi are essential to your
garden. The way to reduce mould growing on your plants is to allow air
circulation and avoid splashing water on the leaves and up from the soil, if
possible water the roots only.

I really need some hints this year
last year i resorted to letting everything but the zucinni and the tomatoes
die because it was costing too much and taking too much time to water often
2 times a day for 30 minutes or more just for the garden.

Good thick mulch will save much water - go for it. Is it possible where you
are to install a tank for roof water? This can save you if tap water is
expensive.

David