Old 18-03-2008, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle Penelope Periwinkle is offline

Default mantis Tillers

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 21:47:50 -0300, "Donald Maclean"
wrote:

Hi,
Anyone out there use a mantis tiller---are they as good as they are
cracked up to be. I am using an Ariens rear tine tiller very effective but
also heavy and cumbersome. Specials are on now so I am considering
purchasing one.

I love mine. Adore it!

It's not going to break up thick roots, but for tilling up my
already established beds, it's perfect. I've had mine about 5
years, and only had trouble with it last year. One of my
neighbors borrowed it; and, despite my express direction *not* to
refuel it, he did. He hand mixed the gas and oil, and apparently
didn't get it just right. That or he used old gas. Anyway, I had
to have take to the shop for a cleaning and tune up, or whatever
it is mechanics do when they're alone with 2 cycle engines.

I've never done anything to winterize it, I just run it dry the
last time I use it.

I've heard lots of good things about the Hondas, and I believe
they were a Consumer Reports pick a few years back, but I love my
Mantis.

Penelope

- "pointed"