Old 18-03-2008, 03:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
hollenback hollenback is offline

Default Bamboo fence

"SteveB" wrote in message
I want to hear opinions on whether or not I can grow a 600' long bamboo
wind fence where I live.

I live in Toquerville, Ut. Elevation 3700'. Freezing temps in winter
down to about 15 degrees. They say 100 days or so of 32 of less per year.
After living here a year, I'd agree. Summer gets up to just a bit over
100.

I have consulted different books and manuals, and get different zone
numbers, so I'm not sure which zone I live in.

The soil here is sandy, just like sand dunes, with lava rocks mixed in. I
have an area where I would love to put a LOT of bamboo, and it could just
grow crazy. I have a front end loader to use as an edger. I have
irrigation water that costs me $100 a year.

Do you think it would grow in this climate?

Steve

You should have no problem with any of the Phyllostachys aureosulcata
varieties or Phyllostachys bissetii or Phyllostachys rubromarginata. You can
search for the varieties that you would like at
http://www.bambooweb.info/SSL.php and if you have any question you can ask
in the forum on that site.

Bill