Old 18-03-2008, 03:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
Andrew Ostrander Andrew Ostrander is offline

Default Compost Pile Advice

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..

(snipped)

did you know that there are no native earthworms in the US?
they're all imported.
lee

I used to think that too, but have changed my idea. Here's a quote from
http://www.nrri.umn.edu/worms/action/FAQ_sheet.pdf.

There are over 100 species of native North American earthworms in
unglaciated areas such as the southeastern U.S. and the Pacific Northwest.
However, native species have either been too slow to move northwards on
their own or they are not able to survive Minnesota's harch climate.