Old 18-03-2008, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeff Layman Jeff Layman is offline

Default compost

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Jeff Layman" writes:

You'll be saying next that you don't need to sterilise pots before
sowing seeds in them. ;-)

In general, you don't. There is fairly little point in doing so if
(a) there wasn't a problem last time you used them and (b) you are
putting unsterilised compost in them. But that wasn't my point.

The mycelium that appears on compost will correspond to a saprophyte;
virtually the only organisms that cause trouble are parasites; they
don't overlap all that much.

I don't understand. Are you saying that the fungi which cause damping-off
are parasites? Did you mean pathogens?

If you want to get rid of all such things, you need to sterilise
all pots and compost, either by autoclaving (say, 200 Celsius for
20 minutes) or by using an effective disinfecting agent (such as
concentrated formaldehyde), and maintain sterile conditions
thereafter. Most people don't go that far ....

Actually, I agree with you - I haven't disinfected pots in years. I just
give them a quick wash with soapy water - more of a cosmetic thing than
anything else.

Pythium and Phytophthora know where you live...

Well, yes - and they know where you and David live, too :-)

And everybody else in the newsgroup...

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)