Old 18-03-2008, 03:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default pear pollen availability

In article ,
Jonathan Ball wrote:

I have a Comice pear tree that, after seven years,
finally is producing some flowers. I've found
conflicting evidence regarding its fertility. Most
sources say that Comice is not self-fruitful, but one
(http://homeorchard.ucdavis.edu/general-pollination.html)
says it is self-fruitful in California (but not in the
Pacific northwest.) I'd like to find a small amount of
pear pollen to apply myself. Does anyone know where
this might be available in southern California?

Why not get a pollinator and let it reside in the back. I purchased a
male holly and the berries have been about. Slow to see the effect but
one holly without seed is a small price to pay for many with.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA