Old 18-03-2008, 10:22 PM posted to rec.gardens
SteveB[_8_] SteveB[_8_] is offline

Default Bamboo fence

"Val" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message
I want to hear opinions on whether or not I can grow a 600' long bamboo
wind fence where I live.

I live in Toquerville, Ut. Elevation 3700'. Freezing temps in winter
down to about 15 degrees. They say 100 days or so of 32 of less per
year. After living here a year, I'd agree. Summer gets up to just a bit
over 100.

I had bamboo growing along one edge of my property in Montana, very NW
corner of the state, Elv. 5,000, Purcell Mtn Range. I have no idea what
kind it was but that stuff was...ummm...prolific! I had all the plant
supports and bean poles I and all the surrounding gardeners needed. The
Cub Scouts cut a mess of it for tent poles. If there's a bamboo that will
grow there I'm sure something would do as well where you are. My neighbor
kept in under control with his bulldozer when he came up every year to
clear a fire barrier around my property. That swash of bamboo was about
150 ft long and about 10 or so feet wide.

Val

Thanks. I've been reading about it, and it seems bamboo is much more cold
tolerant that I would have ever guessed.

Steve